XP crashes on Disconnect from Dial-Up

myfoot 19:15 24 Feb 06

I can't make this happen, but it happens every 3rd of 4th disconnect. It can happen whether or not any program is running, but like I said I can't force it and attempts to make it happen have failed. There are no entries in "Event Log" and "Dr Watson" does not record it. It means that I have to turn PC off by pulling the plug. This lead to a scandisk at the next start which can be detailed or quick.

VoG II 19:19 24 Feb 06

In what way 'crashes'? Any error messages?

myfoot 22:05 24 Feb 06

The only action possible is Power Off, no Mouse, no keyboard, cursor frozen. No messages of any kind. It just happenned 1/4 of an hour ago. And as above no LOG enteries or Dr Watson dump. Maybe you know of some programe that might log this as Dr Watson and Event logs show nothing

namtas 22:25 24 Feb 06

It could be anything but as it seems to be associated with being on line or coming of line I would suspect your modem as the likely cause, before replacing, try replacing the driver first, try reseating the board.

myfoot 22:48 24 Feb 06

I suppose I could try a driver update or reinstall.

Yes under normal conditions I can do what I like the machine works fine, ONLY and ONLY when coming off-line, but that can be 3 or 4 times a day. As I said above it does not happen every time, but too often, at least every second day. So I suppose checking the driver is something I can be getting on with

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…