XP crashes after installing broadband modem

eckmacnab 21:36 08 Jun 03

I recently installed a Sagem 800 broadband modem and ever since my computer keeps crashing. The error log is filled with references to the Service Control Manager and problems with the General Purpose USB driver service (adildr.sys) being disabled or associated with no device. I have 4 USB ports and only 3 devices attached (the above modem , a game pad and a scanner) Anyone any idea how to sort this?

hugh-265156 22:00 08 Jun 03

try reinstalling the modem.

make sure windows is up to date and you have latest drivers for everything.

try removing the scanner and gamepad while the modem is connected.

or if you have the option to connect via ethernet then it may be better.

bambam005 23:07 08 Jun 03

Which OS are you using?

User-312386 23:09 08 Jun 03

have you a 56k modem installed?

that could be the problem

bambam005>>>>>>>>> are you taking the mickey?

eckmacnab 19:57 09 Jun 03

Thanks for the responses so far. I tried reinstalling, but that didn't help. I tried disabling the 56k modem and that didn't work. I have installed new(?) drivers from Sagem web site - time will tell. Yet to try disconnecting scanner and gamepad. OS is XP home edition.

User-312386 23:04 09 Jun 03

i did not say disable 56k modem i said REMOVE it completely from the PC, as it could be a hardware conflict

Gaz 25 00:53 10 Jun 03

They are known, it caused a shutdown problem on mine/.

bambam005 23:31 10 Jun 03

bout the last post!
do you have service pack 1 installed ? If you don't then check in the device manager and disable enhanced host controller ( under USB controllers ) after uninstalling the drivers , then shut down reboot and reinstall . Just a thought but this can solve the problem with other similar modems , XP seems to still have a few bugs .

eckmacnab 21:47 18 Jun 03

This problem seems to have gone! I did 3 things and I don't know which worked - I was reluctant to remove the 56k modem so I disabled the modem controller in system setup. The USB connections are in two pairs - in device manager the modem was connected to pair which listed 3 spare ports (although only 2 physical ports) and I swapped this to other 'pair' which now shows 1 spare port (gamepad and scanner on first pair with '2' spare listed). Finally, I discovered Windows XP writes errors to Dr Watson log which was over 80MB and took forever to open, so I started new log file. Windows XP has now resortrd to its usual annoying self with occasional errors and much less frequent hanging! Thanks to everyone for helpful suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…