XP Crashes

coalbrook 19:20 08 Jun 03

Hi again

My computer is 2 months old and crashes constantly, usually up to four times a day (when I'm looking). It has been doing this since day one.

I keep all information as safe as possible so it doesn't represent a major problem.

But why does it crash?

Many thanks for your thoughts!

-pops- 19:31 08 Jun 03

I would have complained to the supplier long before now.

You shouldn't have to put up with this. See what the supplier says about it.

Brian

spikeychris 19:34 08 Jun 03

If it's two months old and has been crashing since you bought it and you haven't added any obvious third part software that could cause this then send it back.

It is XP I take it, have you added games or downloaded anything??

Chris

Check event viewer to see whats happening..

coalbrook 19:43 08 Jun 03

Hi again, the reason I haven't sent it back was because I was hoping to resolve the problem without having to send it back. I have two computers at home and use them for work. If I experience problems with one of them, I always have a backup.

But maybe it is time to speak to the supplier.

I have read about other people complaining of their XP's crashing so thought maybe there must be a common denominator at work.

As a precaution, I did download BIGFIX.COM and have installed all the required patches.

coalbrook 19:46 08 Jun 03

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have downloaded so much software since it arrived! Not games, just utilities such as anti-virus, firewalls, spyware, music downloads, spamguard, and a popup stopper which was not successful. AOL and Tiscali too plus other work and university related programs.

spikeychris 20:04 08 Jun 03

Firewall(s) you should only run one at a time, music downloads???

Kitz E Kat 20:39 08 Jun 03

you get time to work??? Sounds like your ready to do battle, with, well something.If it were me, and if it were me i wouldnot have downloaded diddly squat, i would get rid of the lot, go back to square one, and reinstall the minimal amount testing as you go one by one . Spikey Chris is right ( he's allways right) you only need one firewall. You expecting to come under a major attack??? I keep one machine for downloads the few that i do ,and never download on to the other machine.
Hope you get it sorted.
Kitz E Kat

coalbrook 21:23 08 Jun 03

ROFL Kitz:) I stay online for hours, sometimes up to 24 hours at a time whether its for downloading music or being able to access my email instantly.

Spikey, I disabled the firewalls when this problem cropped up. But currently have only one that I like (Tiny) and will continue to use (after I sort out my mess).

Major attack? Nope:) Just thought I'd better be secure as hell since I'm here so very often and do my financial stuff online too. You hear these things about information theft....

Thanks a heap!

-pops- 06:59 09 Jun 03

You have mentioned music downloads (picked up by spikeychris but not pursued).

Are these music downloads through anything like Kazaa (sorry for swearing, folks). If yes, a lot, perhaps all, will be explained.

Brian

Kitz E Kat 08:33 09 Jun 03

Forum Ed warned about that, never speak that word again.If coalbrook you do have Kazaa then all the other "protection" is as usefull as a trench coat in Barbados..
I just got a copy of Norton Firewall, and in the interest of science! i tried to download kazaa media desktop, no way was it havin it, after a mojor stuuggle i got it but the firewall would not allow it to connect, pretty smart firewall. Experiment complete, kazaa gone the way of the dodo. Sorry if was a bit smart, but if you do have sensitive material i do advise you not to download nothing your not 1000% sure of
Do hope you sort problem out
Yours
Kitz E Kat

-pops- 08:46 09 Jun 03

<:-))

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009