XP crash when using virusscan etc

Pezcp 21:43 13 Oct 05

Whenever I run Mcafee virusscan, or any antispyware scans, after a short while when checking the files on the main drive the computer just shuts down (crashes) Hence I can't find the offending item(s) Anyone got any ideas on what I can do?
PS I've turned off system restore as suggested in another thread.

PC Bilbo 22:28 13 Oct 05

Have you tried running it in Safe Mode?.

Also try going into Control Panel> SYSTEM> ADVANCED>
Start up and Recovery and under "Sytem Failure" make sure the box labelled "Automatically reboot" is not
ticked. This should prevent Windows rebooting in the event of a crash which is what you are experiencing.

Pezcp 19:57 17 Oct 05

Thanks Bilbo. Had already tried in safe mode but same prob occured. Am trying the 'system failure' idea out now. Will let you know

Pezcp 14:59 18 Oct 05

No System still crashes evn in safe mode with the reboot box unticked. Any ideas?

splork 15:12 18 Oct 05

You might try a disk check. I am assuming you're using XP in which case type chkdsk /f at the command prompt then Chkdsk /r if any bad sectors are found; a more thorough scan which may take an hour or more.

Pezcp 20:33 22 Oct 05

Think the problems solved. Looks like I've got a dodgy IDE channel on the M'board. Thanks for the advice

casper69 07:56 14 Nov 05

ive got the same problem with mcafee virus scan try what everone has told you as it has worked but i still get it happening. i think a trojan virus gets through some how as it didnt come up on mcafee but when i done a ad aware scan it came up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…