xp crash lost all restore points and user settings

toni b 22:59 22 Sep 03

I was trying to install lacie pocket hd so I could back up my HD but in the process after eventually getting the com to recognise hd my com froze and I eventually had to reboot. I tried restoring to several previous restores points but i recive this message "Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the registry. " all programs previously used are avaiblebut my documents will not load basically when i log on it appears as windows thinks I am a new user can any body help running xp pro on laptop I assume is registry so can any one give suitable advise I need certain links in favorite to access secure web sites so any help would be gratefully recieved

JIM 23:43 22 Sep 03

I take it that you are the only username on the system/full admin rights ?

You may like to try the following as it relates to your 1st point which may be the best way to go.
I would follow as laid down by M/S.

Error Message: "Windows Cannot Load the Locally Stored Profile" (812339)

When you log on to Windows XP, it may take longer than you expect. When you use CTRL-ALT-DELETE to log out, you may receive the following error message:

Windows cannot load the locally stored profile: Insufficient security rights or a corrupted local file. Windows has logged you in with a temporary profile any setting you make will not be saved.

This problem may occur if the directory that is associated with the account has been deleted from the Documents and Settings folder.

Create a New User Account

To create a new user account, follow these steps:

Start the computer in Safe Mode, and then restart the computer.

After the Power On Self Test (POST), press the F8 key.

On the Windows Advanced Options menu, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.

When you are prompted to select the operating system to start, select Windows XP <edition>, where <edition> is the edition of Windows XP that you have installed, and then press ENTER.

Log on as Administrator.

On the "To begin, click your user name" screen, click Administrator.

Type the administrator password,?????? and then press ENTER. In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER.

In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
Create a new user account. Windows makes a new directory for the account in the Documents and Settings folder.
Quit the User Accounts tool, and then restart the computer.

toni b 01:03 23 Sep 03

I have tried the above suggestion but now my com will only ever boot in safe mode I have been trying since you posted this message will keep on trying to boot normal do yuo have any advise?

regards Toni

toni b 01:25 23 Sep 03

I have now managed to boot windows "normally" after several crashes shutingdown xp from "safe boot" created a new user account with admin privilages but again I do not have anything inmy documents such as previous xp \patch down loads or music or photo,s so log in to other user account also has admin privilages but the same error as posted previously using original account .

I have several restores points avalible but when i try to intiate one the computer either freezes or when i does try to restore it is uncessful so where do i go from here I have searched all previous threads in regrads to this and appears there are quite a few but nothing in specific to this error Help.It seems such a shame as I was installing Hd purely for a back up incase this sought of problem should occour Such is life I suppose!!

regards Toni

toni b 10:45 23 Sep 03

Ran scandisk on c drive went to bed woke up and logged on and all is fine everything backed to normal so I can only guess that is was the hd on laptop playing up
ok thanks Toni

JIM 13:08 23 Sep 03

Glad to hear your news,sorry was not around late last night.I know your glad to see all back to normal but may i suggest sometime soon that you do a sfc /scannow with your os/recovery disk in place.

This at least may make sure all files and dll's are in place on your system.Thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…