XP Crash loading games

Paisley 12:17 27 Nov 04

I am running XP proffesional on a new pc, I have loaded software such as Office XP and Norton with no problems but when I tried loading a game the system carshed and restarted. I tried several other games with the same result inlcuding a serous error messsage on a blue screen at one point. Any ideas I amclueless?

Stirkius 12:25 27 Nov 04

Firstly check to see the games are compatible to run on your PC - Look on the side of the box and see if they will run on your machine with your system configuration (i.e are all the games XP )

How far does the download of the game go ? - Does it appear to complete and the problems you have happen when you try to run the game ?

Is it just on one game or all games you download ?

I had a smiliar problem with on particular game, which caused me no end of grief. After unloading and downloading severl times I was giving up when I ran a DEFRAG on my HARD DRIVE . This sorted the problem...

Dont worry bout being computer clueless - if you were Bill Gates then you wouldnt be putting questions on here and I would be unable to answer !

Kegger 12:28 27 Nov 04

Hi Paisley
Xp pro doesn't like games, i have used the folowing work around on a number of friends PC's for older games as well as so called XP compatabile games, install the game and then create a shortcut on to the desktop, right click the icon and select properties then select the compatability tab, then select a different OS to play it with. the game then runs OK

Paisley 12:44 27 Nov 04

I have been able to load an xp compatible demo game but older games such as starcraft and quake which do not say XP compatible will not load the crash happens at initial install does not get far into setup.

ACOLYTE 15:08 27 Nov 04

Can u run the compatability wizard before install
then select the cd rom it should copy files over and install.I have run games this way before,on xp home.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…