XP Crash

McD 12:29 14 Jan 03
  McD 12:29 14 Jan 03

Hi folks:
My problem is that I have Windows XP Home, and for no apparent reason when I tried to boot up I got the following message – “The following file is missing or corrupted - Windows root >\system32\hal.dll - restore this file and reboot. I went to MS techsite searched and found the relevant “fix” and followed the instructions. This was the first time I have had to use the recovery console in XP and I have to say it is not the most user friendly piece of software. Needless to say the “fix” didn’t work. So in desperation I re-installed XP. It has overwritten many of the files and when I boot up now it shows two versions of XP. When I choose one of the versions it still gives the “error message” above. The other version opens but I can’t access any of my program files. I have all my data backed up so I haven’t “lost” anything (except my temper a few times!). I have tried to use the recovery CD again but it only shows one version of XP installed, despite two versions showing at start up. System restore only gives the option from the new install – and also it is not giving me the option to Uninstall the second version. Any suggestions (apart from a complete reformat) to get my original version back?
I have had a trawl through the helproom archives, and can’t find a resolution.

spikeychris 14:31 14 Jan 03

click here for a few more routes....

Chris

McD 16:03 14 Jan 03

Spikeychris,
Thanks, managed to edit boot.ini so only the new install shows at start up.
Anybody got any suggestions, on how I get my program files back? While they are all still in the Program Folder I can't get any of them to run?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…