XP Control Panel

TN 22:46 28 Sep 07

I am running Windows XP Home and had a problem with it which needed re installing Windows (Repair). When this was completed I found that I had the older version of Control Panel and not the newer one which I preferred. Is there any way of getting the newer version back again. At least with it I had a choice of which version I wanted.

VoG II 22:50 28 Sep 07

Right click the toolbar > Properties. Start Menu > Customize > Advanced tab

woodchip 22:55 28 Sep 07

Right click inside Controle panel, It's in Classic mode

FatboySlim71 22:56 28 Sep 07

Chances are TN, you are back to service pack 1, you can download service pack 2 from the below link.

click here

TN 22:59 29 Sep 07

Sorry Fatbayslim71 but I do have SP 2 on my system. My main problem is when I open Control Panel (old version) all I can do is turn on and off system restore - I cannot find any way of using it to go back to an earlier date. To be 100% certain I have completely re-installed SP2 to ensure nothing is missing or corrupted with no better result. Surely someone has had this problem before as I cannot be the first!

scolley 23:06 29 Sep 07

TN as woodchip says its in classic mode when you open control panel click on left at top and it will change for you or shuld do, i cant even find my control panel at the mo, good luck

rdave13 23:18 29 Sep 07

Suggest you save all the programs and browser bookmarks/favourites to another type of disc and reformat and reinstall windows.
Repair sometimes only half works.
Once you have completed a reformat and reinstall XP then make sure you have an antivirus program running. Fierwall will be already established through windows it's self; although bare minnimum.
Once online go to windows update and update everything. You can reinstall your spyware prograns as Win. updates are installing.

TN 09:35 01 Oct 07

Hate answering my own questions but in case someone else has the Control Panel problem I have found a way to get back to XP : go into registry and change the following:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"ForceClassicControlPanel"=dword:00000001
It will show a value of 1 as above and change this to 0.
NB Only do this after backing up Registry and only if you are experienced in working in Registry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…