xp constant restarting

gob14 18:17 11 May 03

have been dual booting xppro and win98se for awhile and not had any problems.reformatted xp drive recently and reinstalled all drivers just as before and now when using the internetwhen clicking on links(seems to be random) xp will restart upon restart windows reports errors about ie5 any help appreciated
win98se xp pro
athlon xp2000
via kt3ultra motherboard
geforce4 ti4200
soundcard is fortissimo2 i think

Rayuk 18:33 11 May 03

If it is reporting errors with IE5 why not upgrade to IE6 see if it solves the problem

gob14 19:01 11 May 03

ie6 is installed that part of the error i think is caused by windows restarting while on the internet i have just tried to crash system again by clicking on internet links(but used an option to not restart pc)and recieved a error message about driver irql not less or equal can anyone explain this as i am using the latest driivers for soundcard etc

Michael-240508 19:37 11 May 03

Are you using Norton AV or IS ?
I had the same problem earlier today with Win2000 have uninstalled both AV and IS and fingers Xed no problems.

gob14 19:44 11 May 03

no have clean installed both os still restarts have checked microsoft found the error on there (driver irql) something to do with not releasing memory but no solution if i could find out what is causing this i could probably replace it as i have some parts from old system but no graphic card

powerless 19:47 11 May 03

This restart problem you are getting will be saved to a log - It will (it should) contain a link to the microsoft website. It will hopefully tell you what the problem is in plain english and provide you with a fix.

To see this log > Go to > Start > Run > Copy and Paste:

eventvwr.msc

Click ok.

Now click on the SYSTEM and APPLICATION logs and look for ERROR (in red).

Click the link in it and with a bit of luck there will be a fix.

gob14 19:59 11 May 03

yes it mentions true vector log quite often something to do with zonealarm i think will probably try uninstalling this

powerless 20:03 11 May 03

It maybe Zonealarm, it maybe not. - Won't hurt to try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…