Xp computer won't boot

Stuarthouston 23:06 11 Apr 05

Hi, I have quite an old computer running windows XP. It worked fine for about a year, but now when i try to boot up, it just gets to the 'WindowsXP' screen, and when the log on screen should appear, the machine just restarts. This cycle goes on, it has cycled for about 4 hours, and it wont boot at all. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers,
-Stu

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:15 11 Apr 05

4 hrs is a long time to wait before asking for help.

Can you boot into safe mode (keep tapping F8 just after first boot screen)?
If so try a system restore to a date before the problem started.

If no restore points then try a repair of XP REpair XP
click here

Type
sfc /scannow
in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.
This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

stalion 23:19 11 Apr 05
  THE TERMINATOR 23:36 11 Apr 05

Press F8 at bootup and choose last known good configuration.

Stuarthouston 21:37 12 Apr 05

Hi again. The machine wont even boot into safe mode. When i select the last good config. option it just does the exact same. I cant seem to get into windows full stop under any option. When i try to boot to safe mode, the screen fills with writing, (i assume this is the drivers loading) but then restarts.

THE TERMINATOR 21:53 12 Apr 05

Can you bootup to the command prompt? Press F8 and choose this option from the menu. When you get to the command prompt try typing one of the commands below.
C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
or
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Stuarthouston 22:08 12 Apr 05

Hi.
It wont even boot into the command prompt. It loads the drivers, and the last thing it loads is called 'alim1541.sys'. It then waits for a minute or 2 then resets.

stalion 22:20 12 Apr 05

Do a check on your memory chips to see if they are ok.What memory have you got installed?.

Stuarthouston 22:26 12 Apr 05

Theres 128mb installed...How would i do a check on it? I dont have another computer as old and crummy as this 1 to try them in. :p

stalion 22:27 12 Apr 05

have you got one stick or two of memory?

Number 7 22:31 12 Apr 05

Right click the "My Computer" icon and select Properties.

Click the "Advanced" tab and under "Startup and Recovery", click "Settings".

Under "System Failure", remove the tick from "Automatically restart".

Hopefully, the next time the computer fails to boot it will generate an error message.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…