XP collapse post broadband change

subaru 18:08 24 Dec 04

My friends very stable XP set up has suddenly developed the willies after changing to ntl broadband. It worked fine for a day with broadband, then on restarting the PC it wouldnt allow internet explorer, and even quite basic functions like search refused to work. My son did a system restore and things were fine again, but I gather on restarting again chaos has ensued.
Those nice chaps at ntl have said that the XP has degraded.........seems a bit of an extreme fall from grace??
Any bright ideas............Ive already suggested not turning the PC off ever again but this did not amuse apparently!!

Technotiger 18:24 24 Dec 04

Hi, sorry I can't offer any explanation for your pc woes - but, on Broadband a good Firewall and AntiVirus are essential - at least the free versions of Zone Alarm and AVG. It might be that if you do not have good protection you might have picked up a nasty :-( Cheers.

rawprawn 18:24 24 Dec 04

Try a System File Check, go to Start / Run / Type sfc /scannow ( Note the space between sfc and / ) you will need your XP Disc

Technotiger 18:26 24 Dec 04

ps..... XP degraded? I think those 'nice' chaps at ntl are trying to baffle you with science - their 'science'. Cheers.

JIM 18:26 24 Dec 04

Has your friends installed SP2 yet?

Would consider uninstall/reinstall of the isp software etc if your right about the windows xp systems restore putting system back on track again.

Have they ran/installed any spyware programs to check out there system? (plenty of links for cleanup and protection of a system on this forum)

rawprawn 18:28 24 Dec 04

Another thought, turn system restore off, reboot and do a scan with Escan click here to download. Don't forget to turn System restore back on when you have solved the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…