XP codes

algernonymous 15:31 05 Jan 07

A friend of mine used to have XP Home on her PC until her boyfriend put XP Pro on it. Unfortunately, it was the OS for his system and, as it is illegal to use one OS on two PC's it would be in her best interest to re-install Home onto her PC. The problem is, although she still has the legitimate code attached to her PC, she no longer has the disc. Is it possible to get any other Home disc and use her code when prompted or will each disc only work with its own allotted code?

recap 15:34 05 Jan 07

It is possible to use another disc with the activation code of your friends pc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:52 05 Jan 07

Is it possible to get any other Home disc and use her code when prompted

Yes no problem.

algernonymous 17:03 05 Jan 07

Excellent, many thanks.

algernonymous 18:59 08 Feb 07

Oh dear. So I finally get an XP Home disc, do the installation, download AVG, run it, download OpenOffice, set user accounts, then go to close it down. But it gets to 'windows is logging off' and hangs there. So eventually I switch off using the on/off switch and when I switch back on to check it's OK, I get the post screen telling me Master hard disk fail- insert system disk. I put in the XP Home disc again and run Repair and it says Primary disk not detected.
Help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 08 Feb 07

check power and data cable from motherboard to drive is firmly fitted at both ends.

boot the PC into BIOS and see if the BIOS can detect the drive. If it can then boot to the recovery console on the XP home CD and run chkdsk /r

algernonymous 20:53 08 Feb 07

BIOS doesn't detect drive...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:56 08 Feb 07

if cables are ok and IDE controller is set in BIOS and can not detect drive then drive is kaput.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017