xp cd boot failure

chip shop 12:40 15 Aug 05

I am trying to replace a HDD in an old PC.

Windows set up wont start: error message, "windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this."

A blue screen flashed up prior to this but didnt stay long enough to be read.

Any suggestions welcome...

Joe R 12:47 15 Aug 05

chip shop,

have you changed the boot settings, in advanced bios settings, to boot from cd.?

chip shop 19:11 15 Aug 05

Joe R,
Yep, the order is floppy, CD, HDD. It searches for boot record from CDROM then gives the error message.

Stuartli 19:12 15 Aug 05

The order should be from CDROM - it is trying to boot from a floppy.

BurrWalnut 19:21 15 Aug 05

Clean the CD and try again. The boot sequence is OK providing you don't have a floppy in the drive.

chip shop 19:24 15 Aug 05

I've just tried CD, CD, CD and the same thing happens: it does "searching for boot record from CD ROM".

Any idea how I slow down the sequenvce so I can actually read the blue screen (which flashes on and then is replaced by the error message)?

BurrWalnut 19:44 15 Aug 05

In case it's a RAM problem (which I doubt) change the BIOS entry "Quick power on....." to off.

I still think it's a CD problem - clean the dirty/greasy finger marks from it.

chip shop 22:50 15 Aug 05

BurrWalnut,
I've done the cleaning thing & no change is apparent.

As to the "quick power" thing, I had a look & couldn't see anything in those terms. Could it be described in a different way?

harps1h 00:06 16 Aug 05

post up what your specs are to see if there is anything there that may be the cause. to get it to boot from the cd it needs the sequence to be cd rom, hdd, floppy. another point, is the disk a full copy of wins or a recovery disk and did you have xp running on the system before?

chip shop 10:18 16 Aug 05

harps1h.
Not sure exactly what you mean by specs but according to the black configuration screen it is a P3 with 800EB Mhz, external cache 256kb enabled, 3 DIMMs of 133MHz, base memory of 640kb.

Hope this clarifies

chip shop 10:22 16 Aug 05

BTW, the disk is original full copy of XP. It was running XP previously. Theres a sad complicated tale of disaster which I didnt think was relevant if I changed the HDD but Im starting to think it may be. Shall I explain?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced