XP cd autorun

GoldenOldie 19:13 20 Dec 03

I have a new "Time" laptop with a problem. It has lost the ability to autorun cd's. Using the reload cd's gets it operating until I install an internet connection, either the Supanet they give you or Virgin. As soon as I do this the machine will not detect a CD in the drive, this is before I try to load any software onto the unit. I can open the drive to show the contents but nothing autoruns. I cannot burn a cd as it does not detect a blank. Any ideas as Time are baffled and claim I must be at fault.

spikeychris 19:17 20 Dec 03

Have you tried the obvious,right click the drive and selected auto-play? if that is set up correctly post back for a reg hack.

spikeychris 19:17 20 Dec 03

Thats right click and props

spikeychris 19:25 20 Dec 03

Pulling the plug soon so if the above fails Open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom click the cdrom folder and in the right pane double click Autorun
set the value to 1 (one).

GoldenOldie 19:29 20 Dec 03

Spent about 4 hours with Time helpline and tried all they know with no result. Registry entries were OK according to them. Thanks for the reply.

spikeychris 19:31 20 Dec 03

"Registry entries were OK according to them" please explain..

Is the reg set to 1?

GoldenOldie 19:38 20 Dec 03

We checked a couple of entries and this one is set to 1 but it still does not autodetect

spikeychris 19:52 20 Dec 03

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom >
AutorunAlwaysDisable REG_MULTI_SZ value check that this does not list your CD-ROM

What value do you have in
r > NoDriveAutoRun

spikeychris 19:58 20 Dec 03

Click Start, Run and enter SERVICES.MSC Look in the right pane for
Shell Hardware Detection. This service should be set to Automatic and
Started. If not, double click it and change the settings.

GoldenOldie 19:59 20 Dec 03

value = 91 hex

GoldenOldie 20:02 20 Dec 03

checked out SERVICES.MSC and it is set as you state

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…