XP CD

woodchip 14:08 02 May 04

Before I post you Will more than likely say NO. Is it possible to install the XP disc OS, I have on my Desktop, on a Laptop if I get one. JUST BE BLUNT

woodchip 14:09 02 May 04

only me using it

mikef. 14:11 02 May 04

No it is only licensed for one machine

powerless 14:11 02 May 04

You can install it but you won't be able to use it after 30 days when WPA kicks in.

One License = I machine.

Restore CD may work differenlty = Might not be able to install.

woodchip 14:23 02 May 04

I have both is it worth a try as there will not be anything on the Drive. the restore says that the partition size as to be the same, it's DI image that they have made. I know that the drivers etc would not work but I may be able to change these If I could get into it. What would XP say when it found a different Mobo BIOS as these are the main upgrade paths for re-activation. Is it worth a Go other than installing 98se

powerless 14:32 02 May 04

Ummm what you want to do is illegal woodchip.

It wouldn't work anyway....all the hardware would be different?

WPA would kick in right away.

woodchip 15:28 02 May 04

It will have to be 98se then

sidecar sid 16:59 02 May 04

I seem to remember Djohn saying that if your copy of XP on your original PC had been activated more than 90 days previous to the new installation then it would work.

I'm sure if he is around he will clarify this.

spuds 21:09 02 May 04

Djohn the lad for this,as he went into it with Microsoft, I think. I think you will find that you can use the XP on both the laptop and desktop, if my memory serves me right.

pharte 22:18 02 May 04

although as you say and the licence agreement for each os is strictly for one machine I have had no problem using the same xp disc about 5 or 6 times between my old laptop, old pc and new pc.

as I have had to reinstall many times on each machine over the course of 2 or 3 years as and when I have used each machine in turn (buy only one at any time) I have had to ring the helpline to activate the product and as the details have been mine fom the begining there has been no problem and they have given me a new activation number as required.

Give it a go and as long as it is genuinely your own copy origionally registered to you there should be no problems

woodchip 22:31 02 May 04

It's a Full XP disc but activated by Medion would that make any difference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…