xp can`t find modem-new pc

nhojnhoj 08:58 03 Nov 03

i got a new pc and installed windows xp home then installed all drivers for the hardware but when i put the modem disk in nothing happened.

i went into control panel/printers and other hardware/modem and there was nothing listed.

i selected `add` and windows checked the pc but said there was no `plug and play` devices attached.

i tried to install aol to see if that would find anything but again it said there was no modem present.

i will probably take the pc back to the supplier as it is only 2 days old but i`m curious. i believe this is a regular problem???

rober32 09:01 03 Nov 03

check the device manager for other devices
if it is listed in there just update driver and point it in the direction of the installation CD

nhojnhoj 09:02 03 Nov 03

looking through the search function on here i wonder if its because i haven`t installed the motherboard driver??

DieSse 09:08 03 Nov 03

"i went into control panel/printers and other hardware/modem and there was nothing listed"

Is there a PCI Communnications Controller, with a yellow exclamation mark - or any device with a yellow exclamation mark.

If so, delete this device.

Then reboot - on start up you should then get "Found ---- etc) Put in your modem CD and tell windows to search it for a driver.

nhojnhoj 09:52 03 Nov 03

no! theres nothing with a yellow exclamation mark anywhere!

Stuartli 10:22 03 Nov 03

Try taking out the modem and installing the driver first.

Then replace your modem and let XP find it.

In any case it's surprising that XP isn't able to use one of its own drivers.

choffe 10:42 03 Nov 03

any red crosses next to a device name?
if so this means that it is dissabled.
right click it and choose enable.
also, check the bios menue. to do this you have to re-boot the pc and hold down the delete key untill you see a blue menue scree.
you are looking for onboard peripherals or a name to that effect.
see if the board has any modem settings i.e auto/enable/dissable.
set any sub menue setting to auto that applies and save changes and exit.
certain motherboards have different settings, so a list of your hardwear would be nice.

nhojnhoj 13:07 03 Nov 03

OK thanx for responses

i took it back to the shop
they said it was because i hadn`t run the motherboard disk after installing windows.

he reckons he just ran that disk, then the modem disc and it found it!

i`m not convinced because he had the cover off!?!

oh well! never mind, its working, thats the main thing

Stuartli 14:56 03 Nov 03

Pewrhaps the modem hadn't been installed in the PCI slot properly...which would explain why it didn't show up in Device Manager.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…