XP built in firewall (or not)

this is an extract from the lockergnome windows daily newsletter click here i thought i might share for the benfit it may bring the community,

Does the Windows firewall protect you from all incoming traffic? Not if it's IPv6! While it's not much of a threat today, I can easily see it turning into one tomorrow. Their solution: "To work around this behavior, obtain firewall software that can filter and block IPv6 traffic." How come nobody warned me about this? Why isn't the tech press all over this serious oversight?! And, most importantly, when (if ever) will a patch be issued to bring the software up-to-date? Seriously, you might wanna tell your friends about this "little" technicality. Ten to one says Microsoft will never share this bit of news with the world. Of course, until the first exploit is unleashed. By then, it'll be two seconds too late.

Paranoid Android 13:24 20 May 03

Spooky.

jeez 14:06 20 May 03

I see microsoft has got another one right! LOL

Andsome 15:27 20 May 03

I prefer Norton 2003 Firewall, but whatever you do if you decide to use an alternative to the built in one, disable it first

Squall 16:02 20 May 03

from Microsoft is not that great, but it is ok and its free so what do you expect.

As for it not filtering IPv6 traffic, like you say its not really an issue at the minute. When it does become one, there will be a patch for it, (hopefully before any exploits) but at least the patch will be free and easy to install.

Don't you think microsoft get a load more stick than the actually deserve?

squall ,
i have to agree that microsoft do get more stick than they deserve, at the end of the day if they hadnt grabbed the ball and ran with it when IBM did not exclusively lincense DOS we would not have the PC with the open architecture we all know and love. we would just have expensive proprietry systems (like the MAC)

its just nice to know where the holes are so we can patch them up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…