XP boots only into safe mode!

Probabilitydrive 08:50 12 Feb 07

I just used Norton Ghost to recover from the following:
1) On boot up Window only got to the black Window splash screen (blue bars..) and froze!
2) Used safe mode for a (successful) system restore but only in safe mode.
3) In normal mode it was the same as in 1)
4) Used Norton Ghost
5) on boot up I got ..."C drive integrity check..."the blue check disc screen (ChkDSK ran and it was to quick to see if errors were reported)
6) Normal Win boot up and all is well!!

I'm now slightly worried. The Comp is 5 moth old.
Q: Does the above point towards HDD failure?
(My Intel Hardware monitor gives the all clear to the HDD)

What could have caused the above?
What would you do next to dismiss/verify the above?

Thanks

Probabilitydrive 08:51 12 Feb 07

to quick = too quick

Rtus 09:02 12 Feb 07

XP home ? use partition magic or similar to check for cross indexing . This is what ive found on several occasions with that os & various set-ups ,yet the pro version doesnt have any problem with it.

Rtus 09:06 12 Feb 07

another thought (as long as theres no warranty issues ) if you have dvdrw or any other CDr drive ,shut down & remove power lead/IDE/sata leads & reboot without it see if win boots normaly now.

Probabilitydrive 09:15 12 Feb 07

The system is XP Pro and (un)fortunately there are warranty issues...So, I keep that option in reserve for the time being.

I'm running right now "Checking local disc...attemting recovery of bad sectors " to see if it brings up something.

The question remains: Why I was suddenly confronted with Win running check disc?

Are there some quality HDD checking utilities you have used and would recommend in solving the mistery of my case??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:42 12 Feb 07

If will boot to safe mode but NOT normal mode then fault is most likely to be a corrupt driver file.

File could be corrupt if HDD has a bad sector, bad sectors would have been reported by chkdsk.

I wouldn't worry about it these things happen occasionally.

Restoring the Ghost image was probably quicker than finding and replacing the corrupt driver.

Rtus 09:48 12 Feb 07

depending on maker of drive . seagate /maxtor/w-dig do their own diagnostic software & it can help in these cases .download from their support site. cant help more yet as dont know make of your HD

Probabilitydrive 09:59 12 Feb 07

Fruit Bat /\0/\, your analysis -as usual- is as clear and convincing as it sounds true. I did indeed some (serious) un-installing and reinstalling of applications...

After "...attempt recovery of bad sector...." I'll run "...fix file system errors..."

In case Window detects irregularities, do I see a report/note of some sort?

And yes, I find Nortons Ghost is simple, easy to use and -provided you have a recent recovery point- an invaluable tool of avoiding bald patches on you precious head ;-)

Probabilitydrive 10:13 12 Feb 07

Rtus, Here are some extracts from Belarc about the system:
SONY DVD RW DW-Q120A [CD-ROM drive]
SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615 [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device [Hard drive] (1.02 GB) -- drive 3
WD 2500JB External USB Device [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 1
WDC WD3200JS-00PDB0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0

My Internal HD (WDC)-as well as the external HD- seems to be a Western Digital.

Rtus 12:15 12 Feb 07
  Probabilitydrive 19:07 12 Feb 07

Rtus, thanks for the link. I'll run the dianostic tool and post results.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…