XP Boot problem: Page fault in non-paged area

vroom2000 00:10 10 Dec 05

When I often start up my IBM laptop, I get the Windows blue screen and the laptop does not boot to XP.

The following message is being displayed on the blue screen which require several reboots to restart the computer:

Stop: 0x00000050 (A,0x00000000,B,0x00000000)

[I get different character strings for A & B, eg A can be "0XF86E2780","0XF870AF00", or "0XF8686700", B can be "0XF86CB051", "0XF86DB051", or "OXF865B051"]

'A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Page_Fault_in_nonpaged_area
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable Bios memory options such as caching or components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options and then select safe mode.'

It sometimes takes as many as half a dozen times rebooting before I can get Windows loaded.

I've tried booting using Safe Mode and Start Using last Known Good Configuration but they don't seem to help and I need to re-boot several times before I can get XP to start.

After I manage to do this, the next couple of times the computer will boot OK but then the problem returns.

I don't think I had just installed any new software (definitely not new hardware) before the problem started.

I've looked on the net and they've suggested memory, hard drive or power supply problems but I don't think they're the problem as the computer boots OK some of the time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, please

phono 00:18 10 Dec 05

When you get your Laptop to boot, right click My Computer, click on Properties, Hardware, Device Manager, are there any devices with question marks, exclamation marks or other warnings beside them?

Next, if no problem devices, I would do a thorough virus and spyware/malware check, after that click Start, Run, type sfc /scannow into the box and hit return, make sure you have your XP CD ROM handy as you will need it.

Post back with your results so far.

reclaimjack 00:43 10 Dec 05

get it to boot and scan your hard drive for error's

Chegs ®™ 01:19 10 Dec 05

My guess is somethings on its way out in the lappy,or the PSU is.I've had more of these than I can count,and the first batch was caused by a failed fan inside the PSU,the next batch was ended with a pair of failed hard-drives,the third batch eventually turned out to be faulty RAM,I never did find the causes of the subsequent BSOD's.

Gaz W 01:33 10 Dec 05

Sorry, not really much help but...

I've had this problem on my PC and never got to the bottom of it... still to test each component! In my case it could either be the motherboard (which has 2 burst capacitors but still appears to work), the memory (which crashes XP Setup in other PCs) or the hard drive (which has been problematic from day 1)... so I decided to scrap the lot and build a new one!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:14 10 Dec 05

click here

Usual cause is a bad driver, try updating you drivers especially anything you have recently installed.

vroom2000 14:58 17 Dec 05

I looked for hardware problems in Device Manager but there weren't any. There doesn't seem to be any spy/malware.

SFC didn't seem to work - apparently I need to run a "console session" - I am not what this is or how to get one.

However, I received a new error message on a blue screen, after booting up and just as XP was about to start:

"A problem has been detected & Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: AFS2K.SYS

Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area

If this is the first time you've seen this STOP error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new HW or SW is properly installed. [etc]

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed HW or SW. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use SAFE MODE to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced Startup option & then select Safe Mode

Tech Info: STOP: 0x00000050 (OXF86D4700, OX00000000, 0XF86BB051,0X00000000)

AFS2K.SYS - Address F86BB051 base at F86B5000, Datestamp 3c7ac329

Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete.

Does anyone have ideas

VoG II 15:01 17 Dec 05

It is a CDROM driver that is being reported as faulting click here

hilz 11:32 17 Mar 06

I have a 3 year old computer which has recently developed the very same fault. After checking the event log it suggested this was caused by a failure to log out of user profiles before switching off. It also suggested a hive patch available from microsoft. I have done this and so far things have been ok. However I'm not totally convinced this is the root of my problem after 3 years. Is it time to reload windows ? and if so are there any easy ways of doing this when you only have an OEM disk and numerous patches
thanks Hilary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…