What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?
When I boot up my pc Dell Dimension 8300 Xp home, All goes fine until I get the screen to logon user. When I mouse over the user name nothing happens and also if I try and click turn off computer"" nothing happens either. I have had to manually switch off the pc and switch on again to re-boot. Sometimes it will boot up fully and I can click on user and all is well, but 9 times out of 10 I cannot. I have tried scan now and system restore but nothing has worked so far to get rid of this problem.
Some help would be appreciated.
Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
to Alan-Petrie. I have done that as well, boot in safe mode, but when I shut down the pc and re-boot the problem stays the same!
Fruit Bat I will do as you suggested, but at the moment I am copying all photos etc onto external hard rive first - just in case of things going pear shaped. I will let you know how things proceed.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.