XP Boot Failure

maanse 23:56 18 Mar 03

After installing windows 2000 as a back up on my already windows xp machine i get an error message when booting xp saying 'c:\windows\system32\config\system' is missing or corrupt.
I have checked the drive for errors and bad sectors and it seems to be ok.
Is there a way to fix this without re-installing?

P.S. Windows 2000 boots fine if that helps...

AndySD 00:11 19 Mar 03

The Win XP version of NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM will boot win 2000 but not the other way arround and you have overwritten the XP versions with the 2000 ones.

You may be able to fix this by booting with the XP cd and choosing the Recovery Console and using the bootcfg /rebuild or Fixboot command.

click here

Forum Editor 00:15 19 Mar 03

and is often (although not always) associated with faulty memory.

Try this:

1. Boot into the recovery console from the WinXP CD, then choose your installation (usually C:\windows)

2. You should end up at the C:\ prompt.

3. Type the following exactly as written:-

cd system32\config (press enter)

ren system system.old (press enter)

ren system.alt systemalt.old (press enter)

copy c:\windows\repair\system (press enter)

copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system
(press enter)

exit (press enter then press it again to restart your computer)

That should work, but I can't guarantee it. As always, you follow this advice at your own risk, and you should ensure that you have backed up important data files before you start.

temp003 01:15 19 Mar 03

Andy SD's solution is the first to try. Windows 2000's version of boot files cannot load the XP registry files, hence the error message (when your XP registry is not really corrupt or missing).

Another way of going about it, is simply to replace the 2 files C:\ntdetect.com and C:\ntldr with the XP version from the XP CD.

Boot into Windows 2000. Go to your C drive, and see if you can see the two files. If not, click Tools, Folder Options, view tab.

(1) Tick Show all hidden files and folders. (2)Untick Hide file extensions for all known file types. (3) Untick Hide protected operating system files. The last action will also remove the Read-Only attribute of those files so that you can replace them.

Now you should see those files. Put your XP CD in. Select Perform other tasks from the CD menu. Select Browse CD.

Then go to the i386 folder. Find the files ntdetect.com and ntldr. Copy them to your C drive. Confirm the replacement. Remove XP CD.

This next step is most probably not necessary, but check it anyway. Go to C:\Windows\system32 folder and find the file msconfig.exe. Double click it. Select the boot.ini tab. Click Check all boot paths. If a message appears saying that all boot.ini lines for your operating systems appear to be OK, then your boot.ini file is fine and need no correction.

Now reboot, and try booting into XP.

maanse 22:40 19 Mar 03

i replaced the 2 files mentioned above and all seems to be fine so thanks very much guys.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…