xp boot failure

trfc 14:35 31 Jan 05

SYSTEM: P4 2.0ghz, MSI motherboard, 3 pc home network with this pc having an second hard drive which is external and attached via firewire

A rather odd one this. Several times I have experienced a boot failure in xp. Checking the Bios settings reveals that the boot up sequence has not recognised the internal hard drive. Sometimes the Bios Advanced Settings for Boot Device sequence have changed and sometimes not. Usually on re-rentering the internal hard drive as 1st boot device, saving this setting and restarting will allow boot up. On one occasion, boot failure occurred but the Bios settings had not altered. No auto detection of the internal drive had occurred and the pc would not boot up, presumably somehow not recognising/detecting this drive. This pc is on a small network with 2 other pcs. Detaching the external hard drive and the router for the network make no difference to the boot failure. The strange bit is that having transported the pc to a computer buff friend's house and attaching it to his monitor/keyboard, the internal drive was detected and it booted up no problem !! Anyone come across this before? Could there be an overheating problem, which sometimes alters the boot sequence and a trip in a cold car boot corrects ???

Kegger 15:58 31 Jan 05

Hi trfc,
more likely a dodgy EIDE connection which might be expanding away when it gets warm thus you losing the hard drive, my first port of call would be to check the cable both ends and if you have a spare cable replace and see if you still get the error

trfc 16:04 31 Jan 05

Thanks. I did wonder about connections. Will let you know what transpires.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…