XP Blue screen crashes?

StephShadow 15:32 25 Nov 03

Little knowledge = dangerous thing? I wish I hadn’t discovered how to use the event viewer. Can you advise or educate me further on the following? The story is: new factory-sealed notebook, Home XP, download all the critical updates (11), load up extra MS software – first blue screen crash. Then loaded Norton IS 04, followed by second crash. Found the crashes are similar and the link goes to same explanation:

Error code 000000c2, parameter1 00000007, parameter2 00000cd4, parameter3 00003931, parameter4 e11bebe0.

Error code 0000004e, parameter1 00000099, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at click here. .... which says:
“Category 102 ID: 1003 Source: System Error . We're sorry There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use the links in the Support area to determine whether any additional information might be available elsewhere”

The MS online crash tracking log says error caused by device driver. Is there anything I can do to root out the cause? And this may be a stupid idea, but it’s not my unused but enabled LAN connections that are causing it??

alcudia 15:39 25 Nov 03

Is it a "blue screen of death" or a STOP error.
If the latter click here;en-us;314492&Product=winxp

Device driver problem.

alcudia 15:42 25 Nov 03

Damn links to Microsoft never work.

Go to microsoft.com. On the left hand side of the page click on Support\Knowledge base. Type in 000000c2 and hit Go. The problem is explained in the single resulting article.

spikeychris 15:45 25 Nov 03

Debugging tools are a royal pain in the proverbial. Another way of doing it and one that has got me out of fixes in the past is to startup and shutdown in safe mode...does that work? if it does, do it again and then type this into run Ntbtlog.txt. Make a note of the drivers that did not load...there will be a few as you have started in safe mode.

Restart in normal mode and shutdown each service, (that didn't start in safe mode) one at a time to see if its a corrupt driver or service that is causing the problem...long winded I know but it ALWAYS works if its not a hardware problem or device manger issue.

Chris

StephShadow 15:52 25 Nov 03

...Alcudia, I think it's a blue screen of death (i.e. the machine restarts immediately).
...Spikeychris, shall now try your suggestions (be back much later!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…