XP black screen of death?

Prancer 09:32 27 Feb 07

My Tecra A4 runs XP and Kubuntu Linux. Both worked well until starting up recently. XP started loading normally but froze with a black screen and has refused to start since. On trying Safe mode it goes through a load of .sys files ending with the following: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\Drivers\mup.sys.
I have tried various options, including using the XP Recovery Console CheckDisk, but have been unable to do anything. Even my Acronis Bootable disc does not work and gets stuck after a while. My data is backed up separately. Is this a case for a clean re-install or are there any other options?
Thank goodness for Linux, or I would not be able to do this!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:37 27 Feb 07

Can you actually boot to reovery consul?

If so just delete mup.sys from the c:\windows\systm32\drivers folder XP will replace it at next boot.

If not do a repair install
Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Prancer 15:08 27 Feb 07

Thank you Fruit Bat, I've repaired the Windows as you suggested but at first boot therefter got a warning message "lsass.exe - an invalid parameter was passed to a service or function" I hit "OK", the machine automatically rebooted and did the same again.
Is this the dreaded Sasser worm/virus? Help!!!

Falkyrn 15:29 27 Feb 07

If it's lsass,exe that's l as in "L" then its part of the system if its Isass as in "i" then it looks like its a trojan

birdface 15:38 27 Feb 07

This is a thread just above you,You may get some information on that,click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:39 27 Feb 07

Sasser? no I don't think so in ths case.
I would try the repair install again as the easiest option

once in do a system restore.

If you cannot get inagain you need something like NTFS for DOS which can read the drive and allow you to nvigate to

c:\System Volume Information

In this folder there will be some wierd looking folders like:

_restore{87BD3667-3246-476B-923F-F86E30B3E7F8}

if you browse through these you will find other files named something like RP01 or
RP35, etc...

Bascially find the one with the highest number and in it will be another folder named
snapshot, and in this folder are the files which you need to recover your system:

_registry_user_.default
_registry_machine_security
_registry_machine_software
_registry_machine_system
_registry_machine_sam

copy these files to a temp directory and rename them to:

security
software
system
sam

now you will need to delete the offending files in c:\windows\system32\config and
replace them with the new files.

If you get the same error go back and choose another folder (the RP01 etc) to restore
from.

After doing so you will be able to boot up and use your PC again.

birdface 16:19 27 Feb 07

Hope this does not confuse you,It just shows you what one is a virus and which one isn't.Its hard to tell.click here

Prancer 16:21 27 Feb 07

Thank you Fruit Bat for the above, but I still can't get it to boot. I tried another repair using the XP disc and it did get a bit further along on booting bot then I got the same error message and it rebooted again. Is it NTFS Reader for DOS you mean?

Prancer 16:25 27 Feb 07

Just looked at the NTFS for DOS website and it needs a bootable disc, which I don't have (at least mine will not work).

Prancer 08:29 07 Mar 07

Well, I've finally been able to get into the Windows files and make the changes recommended by Fruit Bat but still no success. Windows starts up normally and asks me to register it, but after I enter the details it either tells me the product code is incorrect (it is not!) or just logs me off. This has happened several times and I can't get past it. I very much fear a virus now.

Prancer 12:39 14 Mar 07

The problem is now clear. I have run an antivirus programme on Kubuntu and it has picked up KillCMOS in my XP installation, which is now totally trashed.
Thanks all for your suggestions, they were much appreciated.
I shall now have to re-format the C drive and re-install XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant