XP Black screen

Johnboy 21:23 27 Mar 03

Yesterday I was notified of an XP upgrade, by the little symbol on the task bar. I duly clicked and the download began. But I was not able to finish it before I had to go out, returning home 8 hours later to find the somputer asking to be restarted.

Did so and after the XP screen with the little green lines showing progress it went b;ack with only the mouse cursor which seems to work fine. Nothing else happens!!!

Have done a Norton virus check from the CD and no apparent problem. Firewall was activated thruout.

Any suggestions.

Only thing I can think of is to istall XP aon the slave HD and see if I can fix it all before the new XP requires activation.

rct 21:47 27 Mar 03

start the computer and hold down F8, choose last known good configuration from the menu when it appears. Hopefully this should help.

Johnboy 22:19 27 Mar 03

Nope, that does not work. Just the same result on each of the options from the F8 screen.

Any other suggestions?

rct 18:44 28 Mar 03

ok then let's try something else! using your windows installation CD, boot from the CD directly and attempt to "repair an existing installation"

Hope it works out for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…