XP beyond recovery?

Diemmess 18:04 23 Sep 03

Have mispent my day trying to revive a very sick notebook, loaded with WinXP and an awful lot of stuff that shouldn't be there.

Bought by a daughter with an attitude that hates computers but uses them in her successful design business (Macs mostly).

Fatal error - to let her teenage sons loose and still expect to use it to keep in touch with her business when away.

Result - I have orders to fix it any which way...... and I, with no experience of XP am expected to do so. .......... She is happy for me to reformat and load Win98SE. There I have much more experience. ... But if I can just recover it as it was....................and she has failed so far to come up with manual or recovery CD

To start with, The CD(DVD)Rom is dead. (Checked as unresponsive in Safe Mode).

She uses Tiscali which keeps trying to connect with no success. There is a constant reminder to tell MS about a "serious error" from which it has "recovered".

I have tried system restore but early dates fail.

I am shaken when I enter the msconfig routine to find about 100 files to be loaded all as follows (with differing numbers of course)- One reads---

196906 rundll.EXE shell32dll Control RunDLL C:\windows196906.cpl

Can I disable these? Or sacrifice a lamb at the new moon, eye of toad, tongue of newt! There seem to be more of these every time I try something and it is snails pace in spite of a P4 and 1.5Ghz

The vendor will send me a copy of the drivers for W98SE. My errant daughter is reluctant to spend much when she can replace with one that works for just a bit more because in accountancy terms this is already written down in value!

The thing reboots if I try a virus scan. It hung when I tried to install my Aol account from a copy on an external hard disc. I have spent too long trying to clear the Registry because since Aol did not complete the installation, its uninstallation was very untidy.

SO----- Has anyone a miracle cure?

Jester2K II 18:12 23 Sep 03

System Restore????

I've even seen instructions for its use in DOS somewhere i'm sure....

VoG II 18:23 23 Sep 03

From DOS it is

c:\windows\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

But I thought a Restore had been tried?

Jester2K II 18:24 23 Sep 03

Sorry missed that line...

Diemmess 18:30 23 Sep 03

It should worry me that anyone should let a potentially valuable tool be so misused, but in this case I know the chaotic circles in which her family move.

I will phone the owner this evening for directons about what I can spend ----- This is a personal challenge and I welcome any and every idea to try and recover it "as was".

Newuser38 18:32 23 Sep 03

A thought. There isnt a recovery partition is there I have one on my Medion desktop for XP. But sorry I would need to dig out the manual before I could say how to use it if there is one.

Jester2K II 18:35 23 Sep 03

Can you network it to another PC and virus scan / Adware scan it from there?

Doesn't a USB Bridge (Cross Over) cable allow the laptop to appear as another drive on another system and hence allow Virus / Adware scanning from one system to the laptop????

(Grabbing at straws cos I'll be on hols on Thursday and I'll not get a PCA fix until Tuesday!!)

Chegs ® 18:38 23 Sep 03

Pressing F8 will allow the option of COMMAND Prompt(I think)allowing you to Y/N the various boot items,hopefully allowing you some access.I'm unsure of any way round the cd-rom being dead(unless there is some way to attach another)and this defeats any of the Recovery/Repair options in XP.

Diemmess 18:51 23 Sep 03

There is always the viral possibility. I thought I had been pretty sharp to try copying the Aol Cd to an external Hd and then try and install from that!

As a home operator I don't have a clue about networking my PC to the notebook, but updating the Av was my reason to try and load Aol.

Obviously if the AV scanning it to be effective it must be doe to the notebook. I have in the past "borrowed" other sibling's HDs to clean then of a virus before impressing them with the need for their own protection, but I'm not prepared to teke the notebook apart for that!

As before, I'm still hoping for a miracle.

Jester2K II 20:46 23 Sep 03

Got any AVG Rescue Disks (my XP box just won't make em)???

If so, make sure you are up to date, create a new set and boot then laptop with them. You can then run a full scan of the HDD with the rescue disks. (done this years ago in my 98 days)

plankton 20:59 23 Sep 03

Just an idea, but have you checked the battery? Laptop batteries are "not very good" at holding the information together. When they go they give all sorts of errors that aint errors (even if the mains is plugged in).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…