XP Backup restore

Christ40 03:04 06 Oct 04

Can anyone help? My trusty computer died and has had a new motherboard, harddrive and power unit as a result.
Before it died I made a full backup using the XP (Pro) Backup facility - including a restore disk but I'm getting conflicting advice about whether or not I can restore from this.
I have many progs that I have downloaded and some that I subscribed to (Norton for example) but the thought of having to re do all of that horrifies me.
All I need is assurance that I can restore, or certainty that I can't. It's the uncertainty that gets to me!

woodt 03:15 06 Oct 04

What have you got to lose?

Christ40 07:31 06 Oct 04

Unfortunately I have to stay in Thailand for a month (well not unfortunately - it's a great place) so I can't do anything until I return to UK in November. I'd just like to know if I face a complete re start for all I'd done or if the Windows XP Backup will restore to the new hard disk / motherboard. Most of my subscriptions were online downloads and all of the details (passwords, accounts etc.) were also on the old, now dead hard drive.

woodt 14:52 06 Oct 04

If you did a 'backup every thing on my computer' then I see no reason why it shouldnt work but then I've never been in the unfortunate position to test it. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…