XP backup to CDRom

Flankforward 18:12 15 Dec 05

I thought I saw somewhere in the mag that you can now back up files to a CD Rom with XP. But I can't find how to do it! Any pointers?

Skills 18:38 15 Dec 05

Right click on the file you wish to backup choose send to and then choose your cd writer from the list. Or just drag and drop the files onto the cd writers icon in my computer.

Then double click on the cd writer and in the writing tasks on the left at the top you'll see write these files to cd. Put the blank in the drive and click write.

VoG II 18:43 15 Dec 05

But if you are using the Windows Backup utility then you cannot backup directly to CD. You need to create a backup on your hard drive then burn that to CD>

Stuartli 19:28 15 Dec 05

You can easily backup files to a CD-R in multisession mode using Nero (if you have Nero).

Start a multisession mode and give the CD-R an appropriate file name.

You then drag and drop the file(s) you wish to burn from the hard drive listings on the right into the folder name on the left. If you fill the disk you should Finalise it before burning or, if there is still space available, just undertake the burning.

Be sure to Save the folder's contents when prompted so that the disk can be used again in multisession mode as necessary.

I have several multisession disks on which I keep a variety of programs, applications, utilities etc for future use either on mine or friends and family's systems.

Stuartli 19:28 15 Dec 05

EasyCD also has a multisession mode but it's not quite as intuitive as that of Nero.

Flankforward 07:18 16 Dec 05

Thanks for the responses. I guess I need to use backup to make a hard disk copy and then copy that to the CD.
But I found the reference in the mag: "...if you have enabled package writing on your system, Backup will even work with your CD-R/RW." I'm none the wiser; what does this mean?

handful 08:05 16 Dec 05

Packet writing is referring to a programme that allows you to use a cd a bit like a floppy, i.e. just drag and drop files onto your E drive (or whatever your CD writer is. The Nero version is called IN CD but in my opinion is pretty unreliable and the CD RW discs themselves are very prone to losing data. This somewhat defeats the object of backing up so my advice is to stick to multi session cds as Stuartli recommends.

Stuartli 08:33 16 Dec 05

The main problem with CD-RW disks is that their reflectivity levels are much lower than for CD-Rs and they cannot always be read by different drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…