XP Auto turn off

Safwana 17:03 08 Feb 04

My Toshiba laptop recently started turning itself off when I opened the lid after a brief standby period. This has now changed to randoom closing down without any ado - no blue out or closing sequence.

I thought it was a virus but have the latest program and SDAT files loaded from Macafee. It turns off halfway through a scan, so I cannot verify that it is not a virus, although I usually do a complete scan every day and it did not shown any when the problem began.

There was a message recently that a driver caused the crash, but it did not identify it and I now get no message. It also now does not start up in the safety mode after a crash.

Any ideas?

Gongoozler 17:49 08 Feb 04

You have McAfee antivirus, do you also have McAfee QuickClean or InternetSecurity. These are said to be very crash prone.

hugh-265156 18:05 08 Feb 04

check your power management setings

control panel/performance and maintenance/power options/power schemes

system standby,monitor,hdd etc set to never.

Safwana 18:40 08 Feb 04

No Gongoozler, I only have the Macafee Antivirus.
Thanks Huggy, will turn off these and try. I never had a problem before last week, although it has always been set to go to standby (not hibernate) when the lid is closed. Safwana

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…