XP AOL broadband problems + XP to win98se URGENT H

daisy2bell 14:26 21 Feb 04

I have done a complete install of XP. Originaly the computer had win98SE, and was upgraded to XP.
I re installed XP (don't ask me why) and was left with 2 versions of XP.
The complete install has now left me with 1 copy of XP.
I then installed AOL broadband and when on line trying to download windows updates the computer suddenly and without warning switches off and reboots. I understand that I might have the Blaster virus which is causing this.
There are 44 updates I need to download and because I have to connect with a normal connection is going to take hours, and bump up my telephone bill. Is there anyway around this.
It won't let me download the Blaster removal tool until I download and install all updates.

Failing this, is there anyway I could revert to win98SE and completely wipe XP of my mashine, as XP is causing me more hassle than it's worth

Thanks

JIM 14:53 21 Feb 04

download direct patch first,if your not on your own system save it to disk.(floppy)Make sure you Aol firewall is on and IE explorer settings are right.Download also Stinger.

You must disable the System Restore Utility to remove the infected files from the C:\_Restore folder.

click here

click here+

Overview
A situation has been identified where the Blaster worm could have infected some systems before the application of MS03-026 [KB823980] or MS03-039 [KB824146]. This tool will help remove the Blaster worm from these systems. For systems with MS03-026 [KB823980] or MS03-039 [KB824146] already installed, no further action is needed once this tool is installed. Install this tool to help remove this worm from your PC.

JIM 14:55 21 Feb 04

for second link.Stinger below.

click here

JIM 15:07 21 Feb 04

you do not download to many updates bar what is needed for Blaster worm virus and security till you are sure its removed.Run a few times till your sure,and have deleted all files related to blaster. Install your virus program and update.

Djohn 15:43 21 Feb 04

daisy2bell. if you have broadband why do you need to use dial-up to download up-dates and what makes you think you have the "Blaster" worm? This would affect both types of connection, not just B/B.

Is your PC crashing only when using B/B?

Is it OK with dial-up?

Does your XP include SP1 service pack?

If you can answer these questions we may be able to help further. j.

daisy2bell 16:42 21 Feb 04

When using broadband the computer suddenly shuts down after a few minutes. I tried downloading SP1 numerous times but kept crashing, thats why I had to use normal dial up, but this takes far too long.
Normal dial up does not cause crashes.

JIM 16:58 21 Feb 04

are you then clear of any poss virus or was none detected?---We may be able to help further as our friend Djohn mentioned.

Djohn 17:16 21 Feb 04

daisy2bell, I'm almost certain that XP requires SP1 to work with AOL broadband. This will explain why you are having problems. You will need to download or install from a CD SP1 before you can make a stable connection through B/B. It's a big download, so see if you can get someone with B/B to download and burn to CD for you, or install from the CD if you already have one.

Once you have SP1 on your system you will be able to make a stable connection and do your other downloads. The best way of downloading Microsoft updates is to minimise AOL to the taskbar and use IE to connect to the M/S site, download and install them then go back to using the AOL browser. j.

daisy2bell 17:41 21 Feb 04

I've used the stinger link and did a scan and no virus was detected. I am currantly downloading SP1 via normal dial up. I believe that at this time of day it's only 1p per minute.
When it's downloaded and installed I will let you know how got on.
Does the SP1 not come with the XP CD.
Can I buy SP1 seperatly on a CD, if so from where, as I don't know anyone with broadband

Djohn 17:47 21 Feb 04

daisy2bell, yes it does come on the later versions of XP CD. It will say on the CD SP1. To check on your PC, Right click on your "My Computer" Icon, select "Properties" and read the version in the window displayed. If SP1 is on there it will say so.

If you don't already have it and the download is not successful, let me know and I will download it for you and post. j.

daisy2bell 09:36 22 Feb 04

I think I may have found the culprit which is causing the crashes. Yesterday I suddenly got a blue screen with loads of writing and a "error report" I sent this to microsoft and it stated that a driver was causing the problems. I think what I need to do now is one by one dis-able programmes and see which one is causing the conflict. BUT how do I do this on XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…