XP after booting up.

pimpers 03:58 21 Jan 05

Hi to you all.

I have just upgraded my PC that now has XP.A problem has just started which is annoying.

Whilst experimenting and looking around this new operating system I must have done something that I cannot rectify or find the correct terms in the help files.

After booting up has finished instead of looking at the themed desktop with icons, the "my computer" page loads up showing all my drives etc. I then have to close this down before I can use the desktop.

Does anyone out there now what I have done or how to stop this from happening so when the PC has finished booting I am left with the descktop?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Pimpers.

VoG II 07:41 21 Jan 05

click here and scroll to the bottom of the page.

pimpers 07:54 21 Jan 05

Thanks VoG™.

The article seems to relate to "windows explorer" and not "my computer".
The pane that shows after boot up has drives A,C,D,F etc shown on the right pane and on the left it has drop down menus under arrows. There is no pane on the left to click on the + or - folders as in windows explorer.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Pimpers.

ICF 08:42 21 Jan 05

Restore to a time this did not happen.
Click control panel,Performance and maintenance in the see also menu click system restore and select a date to restore to.

pimpers 11:44 21 Jan 05

Thanks ICF.

Restore tick box empty, made no difference.

Pimpers.

mattyc_92 13:01 21 Jan 05

What VoG™ has said should reslove this problem, 'casue "Windows Explorer" isn't really part of windows as in the sense of it used to be... You now have to open up a folder and click onto "Folder" for XP!!!

The way to resolve the Windows Explorer problem SHOULD be the same to resolve this!!!!

Hope This has made sense!!!

mattyc_92 13:04 21 Jan 05

Hope this helps.... (from VoG™'s link)

My Documents Folder Opens Upon Boot

Another checkpoint: In the right pane, check your settings under Load: Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

Tip: This problem can be caused by the DlDer Trojan. More information here:
click here

Tip: This utility lists everything that opens on startup with an undo:

I am almost 100% positive that this will also work for the "My Computer" problem!!!

pimpers 08:35 22 Jan 05

Thanks mattyc_92.

Had a look here but nothing seems out of place.

As the machine is fairly new and nothing worth keeping saved on it. I will back up all my settings etc and do a clean install.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Pimpers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…