XP ADMIN PASSWORD LOST PLEASE HELP!

pigseattruffles 10:32 16 Jul 04

OK well we have been now locked out of windows xp proffesional because the admin password has been forgotten and the other admin account was deleted. And to top all that off we dont have the OS disc either. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

hillybilly 10:41 16 Jul 04

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Mike D 10:41 16 Jul 04

pigseattruffles (great name, and yes they do don't they?)

This worked for me, but the exact circumstances were be the same, and I must say, it seeme too easy! A friend suddenly found he could not get into his laptop as he did not know the password (he had never set one, but Windows took it upon itself to start asking for one).

I started up in safe mode and found that I was logged as an administrator's rights and able to reset passwords.

Warning - it is not often that I know what I am talking about, so someone wlse may well know better!

Mike

Mike D 10:42 16 Jul 04

Oh God! "The exact circumstances were not the same"

Mike

hillybilly 10:45 16 Jul 04

I would suggest your friend had XP home, if you boot that into safe mode it gives you the choice to log in as Administrator or as the installed users.

XP Pro is not quite the same,

Rigga 11:46 16 Jul 04

click here for help and advice on reseting the admin password!

R.

try getting onto the built in administrator account by pressing ctrl + alt + delete twice on the log on screen then typing administrator as the username and leaving the password blank (unless this is the account with the forgotten password)

ventanas 11:55 16 Jul 04

Two questions, How is it that you do not have the XP CD? And did you think to create a password reset floppy?

Sorry if unjustified, but I am always a little bit concerned about threads relating to forgotten passwords.

pigseattruffles 20:24 26 Aug 04

>>>ventanas Fri, 16.07.04 | 11:55
Two questions, How is it that you do not have the XP CD? And did you think to create a password reset floppy?
Sorry if unjustified, but I am always a little bit concerned about threads relating to forgotten passwords.

Number 1-its not my computer, infact its my nan's (yea!).
Number 2-if i had the disk then i would just
run the disk and install the lot again.
Number 3-once again its not my computer and i have numerous password reset disks but for my own computer not hers.
Number 4-she bought it second hand.
Number 5-She is my nan. Now comeon how much does your nan know about the internet and password reset disks?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…