XP Activation Question

Scouse 20:26 21 Jul 03

If I was to transfer my HDD into a New PC, installed as the Primary Disk, where would I stand with regards to Activation?

I know that XP would recognise the different components but would I be able to re-register?

I wish to buy a base unit without O/S.

Scouse

powerless 20:44 21 Jul 03

You would have to phone MS up and explain what you've done. If there happy that XP is ONLY on the new machine and NOT on the old machine as well = You'll have your new activation code ;-)

Scouse 20:47 21 Jul 03

Thank You.

I expect all will be well if that is the case.

Scouse

interzone55 20:55 21 Jul 03

Also depends on the version of XP on the original machine. If it was an OEM copy supplied with the PC it cannot be transfered. The same applies to OEM copies of Office as well.
Ran into this problem recently as the normal license for MS Office Pro allows it to be installed on 1 desktop & 1 Notebook PC, I had a disk that came with my PC, but when I tried to activate it on my notebook I wouldn't work.

So instead I utilised the new facility that allows people who use MS Office at work to install it on a PC at home so that they can telecommute.

Alan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…