XP Activation Question

EJ1947 21:40 18 Oct 05

Hi - I installed Win XP Home on to my PC in August and activated by telephone without a problem, from a genuine OEM and license.
Now I have just come across entries in Admin tools/Event viewer every few days with a warning mark. When looking at the properties it says "your windows product has not been activated with microsoft yet. Please use the activation wizard within 30 days"
If I look here - start/run oobe/msoobe /a the windows box comes up saying your product is activated. Which was done over two months ago.
Has anyone ever come across this before and why should it happen and do I need to action??

PC Bilbo 22:08 18 Oct 05

Yes !! I activated XP on a system I built with a genuine XP Home OEM Disk and did all updates on my own B.B. I registered it in my cousins name (for whom I built it).

When |I set it up at his place I got warning that hardware had significantly changed and I needed to revalidate even though no hardware had been changed.

I phoned Microsoft and after 3 1/2 hrs on the phone with support in India trying to change things in the registry they finally gave up and gave me a new product key which is what I suggested they do in first place.After a reasonable time , I insisted thery call back at their expense which fair do's they did.

From my converation with their support people this is not that uncommon an occurence with XP.

I suggest you do what I did but make sure they call you as it is their problem and they should pay.

EJ1947 22:27 18 Oct 05

PC Bilbo. Thanks for your reply but what puzzles me is each of the messages states to ring within 30 days yet two months has passed whilst still getting the first message. My thoughts after reading your costly experience is to wait and see if it fails completely then may be able to use microsofts toll free number to re-activate.
Be glad of anyone elses ideas.

GaT7 22:34 18 Oct 05

I would wait & see what happens. It appears the entries in Event viewer are false alarms.

If a 'start/run oobe/msoobe /a' confirms all is well - it probably is. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…