XP activation error or design?

ACOLYTE 01:57 10 Feb 07

I formated the pc today and reinstalled xp home nothing changed on the pc no new stuff,but when i came to activate it told me i had run out of times i could use my cd key,and i had to enter another one,im like wth,so i entered my sons and low and behold it worked even though i used his key to activate his version of xp,so what going on you can use any key now and they have a limit on how many times a key can be used?.
By the way i have only activated my copy of Xp about 3 times in all the years i have had it.

User-312386 07:34 10 Feb 07

Dont use your sons key.

Phone Microsoft, they will sort the problem out over the phone.

The problem you now have, is that 2 machines have the same licence key

ACOLYTE 13:08 10 Feb 07

Good point,it doesnt seem to have affected anything having the same key on 2 machines,and the reason i did it was,the time it was like 2.30 in the AM when i finaly got the pc up and running so it was easier to input the key than phone MS.
If and when i do format the pc i will use my key again and see what happens.

Diversion 18:52 10 Feb 07

Any suggestions if you are unable to talk over the telephone to get a new activation or product key.

wotbus@ 21:26 10 Feb 07

The problems will occur when one or the other PC's tries the online update. There is no limit to activations, but you may have put a spanner in the works by blagging someone else's key. Get onto the free telephone line and try to sort it or reformat and try again - with a phone call if warranted. Advise your son not to try any updates or his PC will be zapped and he will have the problems.

ACOLYTE 12:13 11 Feb 07

Both pc's have updated without any apparent problems,both were validated to dload IE7.
I agree about what you say MS need to make the present software better instead of trying to sell new stuff and leaving older version users in the dark.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…