XP activation confusion

leedsafc 18:19 09 Feb 06

Old chestnut. Can anyone clear up the confusion regarding reactavation of Win XP.If i upgraded my PC eg: MB, CPU, ram memory would i be required to reactivate XP and if so could i use the same activation numbers given at the first install. I have searched the archives on this subject but i have yet to find a clear explanation.

blanco 18:33 09 Feb 06

If it is any reassurance I have upgraded my computer several times since I first had XP, so much so I think the only original component is now the floppy.
I have never had any problems, reactivation has been automatic each time.

Chegs ®™ 19:27 09 Feb 06

You can reactivate XP online upto 8 times within a few months,then you have to phone the MS Call-Centre and go thru the 40+ digit ID code and they issue the necessary ID code to activate.According to MS site,you can change a variety of hardware without needing to reactivate,but this is total rubbish as I hadn't changed ANY of the hardware,only OC'ed the CPU a tiny bit and had to go thru the reactivation via phone.Several others reported similar reactivation issues when changing nothing more than a SoundCard,HD,DVD-RW etc.Although reactivation is a relatively painless experience(depending on the call centre operatives command of the english language)it is a bit OTT of MS to expect me to reactivate the OS everytime I tweak a hardware setting. :-(

leedsafc 19:31 09 Feb 06

So I can't use the original activation code from the first activation of XP

billyliv 19:35 09 Feb 06

You activate with the operating system product key. Cheers, Bill

leedsafc 19:36 09 Feb 06

So I can't use the original activation code from the first activation of XP

leedsafc 19:37 09 Feb 06

Sorry Bill posted twice

leedsafc 20:20 09 Feb 06

OK scenario B. Some recommend periodically to clean the system and reinstall Windows this means you will have to activate windows again. But could i use the same activation code from the original OS product key or will i have to contact MS?

Simsy 20:29 09 Feb 06

different hardware will require a new activation code to that used initially. The activation code is a number that is generated by a combination of the hardware components, and possibly, where available, serial numbers of the components.

Also, because of the "30 days without activation" capability of a fresh install, is is possible that the date of installation is somehow incorporated into the activation code number that is generated at first install. Because of this I suspect that the answer to your question is "No, you can't use the activation code you used originally, you'll have to get a new one." However, getting a new one, as I understand it from previous posts, shouldn't be a problem.

As usual, I'm open to correction on any and all of this!!

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

leedsafc 20:53 09 Feb 06

Thanks Simpsy I sort of thought that would be the case. I just hoped i wasn't appearing stupid.
However it still seems confusing and a bit of a minefield. It would be unthinkable to believe that MS would try to prise more money from us. Would it?

Mytob 22:46 09 Feb 06

technicaly if you replace your mobo and cpu or a certain proportion of your pc its a new pc and such you have to buy a new licence as that licence was for the old pc. the licence goes where the pc comonents go so technicaly a new licens is required as its a "NEW" pc in there eyes atleasy. M$ are renound for screwing the public for every last penney there worth. the licence fee is a insult considering i can go and dl any version of linux or bsd from the net for nothing and what you get with them is amazing compared to windows!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…