XP Activation

Scubaman 21:56 13 Jan 06

Hi Folks, Happy New Year,
I have a legitimate copy of XP Home but being a bit a of fiddler I am always formating and re-intstalling my copy of XP Home upgrade edition, yes, I have to intall 98SE first. After my latest format I re-installed everything, I know, I know, I must be crazy, some people drink, some people gamble, I just fdisk and format!! I'm a fidler. Anyway.... I have just tried to activate my copy of XP Home and I get a message telling me I have done it too many times, what happens now after the 30 days? I am not buying another copy, the only other option I can see is the illegal one!! Help!

SG Atlantis® 22:01 13 Jan 06

phone MS

Chegs ®™ 22:02 13 Jan 06

You phone MS on the number that activation gives(now)and repeat the 40+ code to an Indian call-centre,who then gives you another equally long number to input into the boxes.

Mark5001 22:04 13 Jan 06

There is another way to try it. PLEASE USE ONLY YOUR LEGITIMATE KEY/As published on Microsoft site last year.I have only used this once on my XP Pro Corporate Edition and am unsure if it will work on the home edition.
Click Start > Run > and type in Regedit
Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\wpaevents
In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify
Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows
Click OK and close regedit
Click Start > Run and type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" WITHOUT QUOTES
Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next
Click Change Product Key (at the bottom)
Enter your VALID Product Key
Press Update and close the window.
If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later
Restart your computer
Verify the change

After the PC restarts, click Start > Run
Type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" without the quotes.
Make sure the dialog box says 'your copy of windows is already activated'
If you performed the above steps incorrectly, or used an invalid key, your system may not be able to boot. Use the F8 key to boot to the last known good configuration and retry with a valid key.
Product keys for XP Home Edition and retail versions of XP Professional will not activate a corporate or OEM version of XP Professional. The algorithms are different

SANTOS7 22:05 13 Jan 06

What you will have to do is contact Microsoft and satisfy them that you are the legal owner of a legit copy of XP so they can register yuor copy.
The next question is why do you have to format and reinstall so much, give us some details of your system the way it is config'ed whaT AV/Malware software you are useing and maybe we can optimise your system and make some suggestions that will keep your PC running as you want it.
P.S. first piece of good advice, STOP Fidlin, if it aint busted don't fix it.....

mammak 22:13 13 Jan 06

As
Says phone MS but dont quote me but I think there is a limit on how often you can reinstall a legite version of windows, and an illegal copy is not the place to go you are setting your self up for more trouble doing that, hope everything is ok for you regards Mammak.

josie mayhem 22:47 13 Jan 06

Ring MS, tap in your validation key as instructed, it may except it and give you the activation keys if not it will transfer you through to a human operator. Who will then take the validation keys and tell you your activations keys.

Having several computers (and suffering from sticky fingers syndrome) I have also reformatted a lot (getting better now though)and have problem on occasions.

One time it was on a new, never before used copy of XP Home, had been activated too many times!!!

Spoke to MS, no problems and when I queried why it was telling me this, there explanation was basically they batch code copies, and when a certain limit is met it throws up this message and it was nothing to worry about and just phone through when needed. Since I have activated this copy of xp several times and have had no problems with it.

Don't worry just make that call

Mikè 23:08 13 Jan 06

Just one point you dont have to have 98se installed first, just insert your 98se disc when asked to during the xp install process.

Scubaman 23:12 13 Jan 06

I am using NAV and NAV PF. I just do some stupid things, the latest being adding another HDD for my videos. On rebootI kept getting a message that NTLDR missing, I flipped big time. Soooooo I fdisk'd and started from scratch, fortunately I save eveything to another HDD. When I got back online I looked up the NTLDR fault in the helproom and got a solution, ok ok too late then I know, I just love messing about, doesn't harm anyone, keeps me off the streets and out of my wife hair. I think I will build another PC to mess about with and not bother you lot so much. How can I create a backup, of say, my system now, working normally and eveything installed?

Scubaman 23:13 13 Jan 06

I am using NAV and NAV PF. I just do some stupid things, the latest being adding another HDD for my videos. On rebootI kept getting a message that NTLDR missing, I flipped big time. Soooooo I fdisk'd and started from scratch, fortunately I save eveything to another HDD. When I got back online I looked up the NTLDR fault in the helproom and got a solution, ok ok too late then I know, I just love messing about, doesn't harm anyone, keeps me off the streets and out of my wife hair. I think I will build another PC to mess about with and not bother you lot so much. How can I create a backup, of say, my system now, working normally and eveything installed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…