xp activation

Pentium 4 Northwood 17:01 15 Apr 05

as some of you may know, i short circuited my motherboard.... (fool i know). I have windows xp on the hard drive. To install the motherboard i'll have to reinstall windows. Everything (except from some more ram, and an added cd- drive) is the same form when i first installed windows, but will windows refuse my activation code on the grounds it's 'another pc' because it will have a new motherboard and processor?

TomJerry 17:03 15 Apr 05

they are not as bad as some painted

Long live Northwood

keithlik 17:08 15 Apr 05

If you have changed major components especially the motherboard and processor (plus the other things you mention) you present Microsoft with what appears to be a vastly different PC to the one registered earlier.
Somewhere in your help file you shgpould be able to find a telephone number for Microsoft where you can inform them of your actions. You may need some proof of identity!
Good luck.

Pentium 4 Northwood 17:15 15 Apr 05

its a lot of bother though. Is it possible to use the new motherboard without reinstalling winodws?

TomJerry 17:27 15 Apr 05

it will work, but XP may insist you to reactivate

if it does work, uninstall old motherboard software, get into device drive and uninstall anything with yellow !

after you get ride software (driver etc) link to old board and then install software for new board

Pentium 4 Northwood 17:38 15 Apr 05

My replacement motherboard is a Fujitsu (seimens?)' W26361 '. I can't find any drivers for, or any manuals etc anywhere for it. Anyone have any suitable links?

TomJerry 17:45 15 Apr 05

phone the shop to find out why they are missing

by the way, why do you select this board? I bet they charged an arm and leg for a funny board

Pentium 4 Northwood 17:50 15 Apr 05

this board is second hand from a friend. it came with their pc when it was new, so no drivers etc.
Its only an old s370 board, as it only serves as a 2nd pc

lotvic 18:26 15 Apr 05

I think this will help :))

How to replace the motherboard on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

microsoft knowledge base 824125

click here;en-us;824125

Pentium 4 Northwood 18:56 15 Apr 05

the link wont work!

Rayuk 19:04 15 Apr 05

I think this is an Intel chipset board so when you find out which one download the drivers from Intel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…