XP ACCOUNT PROBLEM

ramjam69 21:38 12 Apr 04

I updated the drivers that XP update chose for my system (modem, soundcard and motherboard) and the next time I logged on, all I got was my desktop backgroud i.e no toolbar or icons. Pressing the windows key did nothing, but bringing up the task manager worked and i was able to try and switch between accounts, but it wouldn't allow me-the screen just went blank for a fraction of a second and back to my iconless desktop. I could however restart my computer and go onto one of the other accounts on the system no problem, but still couldn't switch between accounts by logging off. I did a system restore to a point before I did the update. Everything worked Ok until I tried to log on tonight. The blank desktop thing reared its ugly head again, but if I went into one of the other accounts, it would let me switch between them, but just not MY account.
Does anyone have any ideas to what the problem might be and how to solve it? Yuor help will be mostly appreciated

johnnyrocker 21:53 12 Apr 04

personally i would stay well clear of microsoft driver updates you would be better i think to d/load latest versions from manufacturers site disable each item in turn in device manager and use the drivers obtained when detected after a reboot.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac