XP aborts start-up

PurplePenny 22:10 17 Mar 06

My niece's e-machines PC running XP Home wouldn't boot at all. Her dad took it to a friend who reformatted and reinstalled XP.

It worked for two weeks. Shut down as normal then on next boot a blue screen appeared with the following message:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical information: STOP: 0x0000007B (OxF96DD528,0xC0000034,0x0000000,0x0000000)"

I've booted int oDOS and run CHKDSK/F but it doesn't find any problems, neither does scandsk. I've booted in safe mode and it stops just as before and the same error message comes up.

I've looked at the Microsoft KB and it has a couple of articles on the STOP 0x0000007B screen but nothing quite fits these circumstances. Most of the 0x..7B stop errors are NT.

The article that referred to the error on XP was for a situation after a new motherboard had been installed. Now there may indeed have been a new motherboard (my niece doesn't really know what was done to her PC) but if so why has it worked for two weeks (daily use) before getting the error message?

One of the NT error possibilities is a boot sector virus: could that also apply to XP?

When I started in safe mode it asked me to select which OS to start. It offered me a choice of XP, XP and XP. Does that mean that there are three installations of Xp on there?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:14 17 Mar 06

click here;en-us;324103

kinger 22:14 17 Mar 06

Your registry may be seriously corrupted. Goodness knows what caused it though.

Can your dads friend reinstall it again?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:15 17 Mar 06
  VoG II 22:27 17 Mar 06

"When I started in safe mode it asked me to select which OS to start. It offered me a choice of XP, XP and XP. Does that mean that there are three installations of Xp on there?"

Check what is in the boot.ini file.

However, that is the lleast of your worries. Download Ewido to your own PC then start the problem PC and install it:

Download of Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

PurplePenny 22:43 17 Mar 06

Thanks Fruit Bat: I found lots of "Stop 0x...7B" articles in the Knowledge base but I must have missed that one as the "Troubleshoot...." article that I found referred to NT not XP.

I suspect that she's got herself a boot sector virus! I don't suppose that she was running any AV software :-( One of her kids was using it last before it died so anything could have been downloaded.

I'm sure that I've got a copy of F-Prot for DOS somewhere - I'll have to take that over tomorrow.

kinger - not my dad's friend! It's my niece's machine. If F-Prot doesn't find anything I probably will just reinstall.

Thanks
Penny

PurplePenny 22:54 17 Mar 06

Thanks VoG, but her PC never gets as far as Windows: it aborts during start up (even in safe mode). I'll give F-Prot for DOS a try.

Failing that I'll just have to reinstall. I hope her kids have been diligent about backing up their homework.....

VoG II 23:04 17 Mar 06

Will it start in Safe Mode with Command Prompt? If so enter the following at the > prompt:

c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and press Enter.

PurplePenny 23:41 17 Mar 06

Thanks Vog - I'll give that a go.

PurplePenny 14:51 19 Mar 06

The kid's homework was on there so we spent quite a long time trying to resurrect without doing a reformat. Couldn't use VoG's suggestion because it aborted before reaching the command line (same for all the safe mode options).

Tried the recovery console from the Windows installation CD. That conformed that there were indeed three installations of XP. Sadly although we could use the recovery console to make the PC boot to one of the other installations the other two proved to have corrupted files.

Reinstall over the top didn't help. In the end we went for a format/fresh install. BUT ... here is the clincher... it wouldn't format!

Happened to be meeting some techie friends for a drink last night so we gave them the whole story and the verdict was unanimous - the hard drive is kaput.

Thanks folks, I'll mark this as resolved now.
Penny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…