xp 64

harps1h 07:32 06 Aug 05

i am going to try xp 64 but before i do will it be backwards compatible with my 32 bit peripherals and hardware. i will of course have the hardware that will run it

Diodorus Siculus 08:28 06 Aug 05

[quote]will it be backwards compatible with my 32 bit peripherals and hardware[/quote]

Probably not - a lot of hardware has not yet had 64bit drivers written. It can be problematic.

PC Bilbo 09:50 06 Aug 05

I have just built 2 systems for an office using AMD 64 bit processors and this question came up so I spoke with Microsoft's guys at a recent seminar as 32 bit drivers will NOT work with 64 bit Windows.

As it is the responsibility of equipment OEM's to come up with compatible drivers it will probably be around 6 months after XP64 first ships that most OEM's will have drivers available depending on their resources, and then probably only for their most recent models.

I opted to put basic XP OEM on & review in 12- 18 months after most of the inevitable teething problems get solved.

harps1h 19:12 06 Aug 05

then that being the case of waiting that period of time surely i would be better waiting for longhorn to appear?

Diodorus Siculus 19:21 06 Aug 05

Yes, probably best to wait for longhorn as well, or vista as it will be known.

woodchip 19:35 06 Aug 05

if you want problems go for it

woodchip 19:36 06 Aug 05

if you want problems go for it

harps1h 21:19 07 Aug 05

just a another word. i can find drivers to all my hardware except my modem which is a sagem fast 800. it can be got around by the use of an ethernet modem but i will try not to have that extra expense. there are drivers for nforce 4 nvidia cardsmy keyboard and mouse. get those going its not too bad. i was wondering if a generic driver will work with the modem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…