xp 25 digit and numeric key code

denis93 06:59 13 Feb 08

my brother inlaw bought an xp home edition desktop computer at a car boot sale (i know what a plonker),any way he ask me to wipe the hard drive,when windows ask me for the xp key code there was no sticker on the side of the pc.
were can i get a free valid xp code?

tullie 07:17 13 Feb 08

Why would you need a key to format the drive,to put XP back on ,yes.I take it this is whats happened?

denis93 08:31 13 Feb 08

yes i formated the hard drive

crosstrainer 08:47 13 Feb 08

As ßeta say's, you are going to have to purchase a product key or a new copy of XP.

keef66 11:30 13 Feb 08

I know it's academic now, but if it was working when he got it, there are bits of software that will tell you the Windows key of the current system; Magical Jellybean rings a bell. You can then format and reinstall with the original product key (only to find it's not genuine when you try to validate it......)

ventanas 11:43 13 Feb 08

I'm confused here. I assume that no XP disc came with the machine, so how did you perform the format, as a code will only be asked for when reinstalling from a cd.

If you are using a cd you already possess to get this far, then this is probably as far as you can go. You will need a code, as you say. Your relative will probably have to buy a new copy of XP which is about £175.00 and I'll wager more than he paid for the PC.

denis93 13:24 14 Feb 08

the pc cost£20 and came with no disc,i used my xp disc to format it

bjh 15:09 14 Feb 08

At this cost, it is worth giving a Linux OS a good look!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…