XP and 200Gb Hard Drive

Steve 22:40 13 Mar 03

I have just added a 200GB Hard drive to my system, the bios sees it, but windows doesn't. Help

powerless 22:46 13 Mar 03

Added it as a Master or Slave?

Where won't XP see it?

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disc Management > Does it see it there?

Steve 07:09 14 Mar 03

Thanks Powerless, yes it does see it, however it says it is not initialised and it is only 131GB.Ihave it connected to a Promise Card Ultra100 TX2. I had a 40GB working fine on that connection, I swopped the drives but still no joy.

DieSse 09:09 14 Mar 03

Read FAQ No 18

click here#

See this page for a BIOS download to support drives over 132Gb

click here

Steve 18:11 14 Mar 03

DieSse. Ihad already downloaded said bios. However it says I should also have Windows Driver Version I've looked for it but cannot find where to download it from, doesn't XP have it?

jazzypop 19:17 14 Mar 03
  Steve 19:01 15 Mar 03

well I went to the promise site and downloaded the driver. It says that I must also have Windows Driver I managed to download this file, but haven't got a clue as how to install it, can anyone help.

jazzypop 08:49 16 Mar 03

click here for installation instructions for the Ultra TX2 BIOS
Ver. 2.0.0210.2

"To create an MS-DOS startup disk

The MS-DOS startup disk you create will allow you to boot into MS-DOS.

Insert a floppy disk into your computer's floppy drive.

Open My Computer, and then click the floppy disk drive to select it.

On the File menu, point to the name of the floppy drive, and then click Format.

Under Format options, click Create an MS-DOS startup disk.

Click Start.

Creating an MS-DOS startup disk erases all information on the floppy disk."

Taken from the XP Help & Support file (searched for boot floppy).

So, putting it all together....

Create a boot floppy as above.

Copy the BIOS file onto another floppy, as above.

Start your PC with the boot floppy in the drive.

When you see a flashing A:> prompt, insert the floppy with the BIOS update on it, and follow the instructions above to update the Promise BIOS

Once completed, remove all floppies, restart into Windows, install the new driver for the Promise card

Finally, go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disc Management, right-click your new drive and install it.

Steve 16:56 16 Mar 03

Thanks for all your help. I ended up going to the Microsoft site, whereupon I found out that I needed the XP Service pack installed, before I could change the Registry to allow (48-bit Logical Addressing) i.e. for windows to recognise a Hard Drive over 137Gb. I've sent for the CD. So hopefully that should solve my problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…