XP to 2000

Jason-211945 14:12 20 Jun 04

I'm thinking of going from an illegitimate copy of XP to a legitimate copy of 2000. How would I go about reinstalling 2000 and secondly, the PC has become very slow since installing XP. Will 2000 be any quicker? Or is it just a case of reformat etc. as it has been about a year since XP was installed.

LastChip 14:54 20 Jun 04

There is a way to install W2K on top of XP and I can probably pull out the information if you really want it, but experience suggests, a clean install of '2K is probably the better option.

The easy way, is to reformat your drive and select CD as the first boot device in the BIOS, pop the CD in and off you go. Exceptions, include a motherboard that has a RAID controller on. Make sure you read and understand the process for installing the drivers during the installation process.

Remember to back up any important information. Personal files, Address Books, Favorites file and the like, as you will loose everything.

Whether it will be faster depends very much on the specification of the computer. For pure speed on an older machine, you wont beat '98se or ME!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…