XP and 2 Hard drives

volcano 20:28 19 Mar 05

I have 2 hard drives which i used to use for dual booting purposes. The version of XP that was on the primary drive(C) no longer works, but XP on the secondary drive works fine. I want to remove the original primary drive completely yet when i disconnect it i get an error message. Im guessing this is because the primary drive is the active partion and contains the root folder for XP. Yet the actual XP installation is installed on the secondary drive (D).
Apart from swapping over the drives on the Mobo to make the secondary drive the primary drive. Will XP boot correctly or will i need to reinstall it?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

THE TERMINATOR 20:57 19 Mar 05

If you disconnect the power to the primary drive then the bios won't recognise it and will be forced to boot from your secondary drive, you will then find out if this drive will boot, without having to do too much inside the case. If you have already tried this then what message do you get?....TT

volcano 21:00 19 Mar 05

When i disconnect the primary drive i get the message "caution this hard disk may be infected by a virus".

volcano 21:05 19 Mar 05

With the original primary drive disconnected, could i not set the existing drive to primary and use my XP disc to use the recovery console to resolve the problem?

Jak_1 21:09 19 Mar 05

change your second drive to master by moving the jumper and use the end ide connection of the ide cable.

If you did a clean install of xp on to the secondary drive then it should be a boot drive when in master mode. Then move the jumper of the old master hdd to the slave position and reconect to the middle ide connector of the ide cable and the power lead then boot up. You can then reformat the old drive.

Jak_1 21:14 19 Mar 05

You can always re-install xp on the original drive if you are sure you have backed up all data. That way there will be no need to swap drives around.

volcano 21:16 19 Mar 05

I can't do a clean install of XP on the current secondary drive as it has far too much data that i dont want to lose.

THE TERMINATOR 22:08 19 Mar 05

I think your problem will be resolved if you disconnect the power from your primary drive, and boot from your secondary drive. But before you boot up, go into BIOS and disable virus scan and this should stop the error message at startup....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…