xerces panic error

GrahameY 09:16 30 Aug 07

When I try to startr up Adobe premiere elements 2.0 (the slideshow and video editing suite) I get the above message in a message box with the heading "Could not load a transcoding service". I should be grateful for any help.

Phrixos 13:16 11 Jun 08

Same problem here.

A search advises users to go to
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Charset\] then, evidently depending upon what program is acting up, to delete one or other key.

The common advice says:

"EVERY KEY WITHIN THE CHARSET DIRECTORY MUST CONTAIN ONE (AND ONLY ONE, NEVER BOTH) OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. AliasForCharset
2. CodePage (if the key has a CodePage element then it must also have an 'InternetCoding' element"

--but my directory contains FORTY-FOUR entries with NEITHER 1. nor 2.--and only a few of which are:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\Big5]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\DOS-720]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\DOS-862]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\DOS-874]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\euc-jp]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\euc-kr]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\GB2312]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\hz-gb-2312]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\ibm852]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\ibm866]

That is how they appear. Nothing else. None have a value that anyone lists as the cause (one of which is supposed to be "jqQl... (something)"

QUESTION: these advisers seem to be saying, if by default, that I should DELETE all the keys with no attendant alias or CodePage, such as those above--but that seems a bit drastic. WHAT, if anything, should I do with these 44 entries?

Anyone got an answer?

Phrixos 16:54 13 Jul 08

The forum indicates that "The author has indicated that this topic is now resolved,.."

It isn't, so if anyone out there has an answer, I remain open to it and would appreciate it.

A further complication, I tried again today to fix the problem, but found that my MIME entry has disappeared! I tried reinstalling Photoshop Elements, but this has has no effect.

Ideas anyone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5