XEON Heatsink/fan question

neljan 01:18 23 Feb 06

Hello all,

I'm going to build an Xeon PC and would like to know what the difference between an active / passive heatsink is, and whether I will still need to buy a fan using a passive heatsink.

If so, would the fan need to blow on the CPU or suck from the CPU. Also, the fans I've seen for socket 604 have heatsink included, can I remove the heatsink from the fan & just use the fan?

Bloody jobsworth procedures for a poxy fan!!!

CurlyWhirly 07:12 23 Feb 06

I can't help you with your Xeon heatsink query but the difference between an active and a passive heatsink is that the active heatsink relies on a fan to keep it cool where as a passive heatsink does not.

These passive heatsinks are usually found on older processors which have slower clock speeds so they produce less heat and therefore they don't need a fan!

neljan 08:52 23 Feb 06

Thanks, that explains why the passive is more expensive. Maybe I'll see what the manual says when it arrives.

Thanks again.

keef66 11:55 23 Feb 06

fans usually blow air into the heatsink.

You can't use the fan without the heatsink.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…