xD picture card problem...

xTimmTomx 16:49 02 Feb 08

Hi there, my PC appears to have a slot in it to insert an xD picture card from a digital camera. When I insert the card, I get a nice green light appearing next to the slot, suggesting that its recognised that a device has been put in... but I can't find any way of viewing whats on the card on my computer. It doesnt pop up and tell me that its found a new device being used or anything, and when I look under "my computer" it doesnt show me like a mass-storage device or anything that wasnt there before.

I'm not really sure what I should be looking for. Do I need to download drivers for the card reader or something?

Any help would be appreciated

Technotiger 17:04 02 Feb 08

Your card reader should show each slot as just another 'drive' each slot having its own drive letter - like D: E: F: etc in My Computer. If these are not showing then I would guess you need to install drivers for your card reader.

Technotiger 17:09 02 Feb 08
  Technotiger 17:16 02 Feb 08

BTW, if using Win XP, card reader drivers are not required.

woodchip 19:10 02 Feb 08

As above your card is in one of the Drive Icons click on them all until you find it

Technotiger 19:32 02 Feb 08

Hi, if his xD was showing up in My Computer, it would show as Smart Media/xD with a drive letter, as in my link above.

Technotiger 19:33 02 Feb 08

You have not yet told us what OS you are using.

woodchip 19:37 02 Feb 08

On my 98se I have a PCI card reader and they show as four drive icons

woodchip 19:38 02 Feb 08

But it does say removable by each one along with drive letter

Technotiger 19:41 02 Feb 08

OK - still wondering though what OS we are dealing with here?

xTimmTomx 19:50 02 Feb 08

I'm on windows XP. I have 4 different "removable disk drives" excluding my dvd drive, showing in "My Computer" as F, G, H and I... none of which change icon when the card is inserted, and each just say "please insert a disk" when clicked on.

My pc appears to have 4 different types of memory slot, so I assume thats what the 4 removable drives correspond to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…