XD picture card and laptop reading problem

DANZIG 17:27 13 Dec 08

I have an Acer aspire laptop with Vista Home premium on it.

I also have a dinky little Olympus digital camera that takes XD cards.

The problem started a few months ago. Normally I just pop the card into the side of the laptop and the pictures load in. Now what happens is that the pictures VERY SLOWLY load in (sometimes not at all), and then the green progress bar creeps slowly from left to right at the top of the window.

Sometimes all the pictures load in OK, eventually, and I have to click the 'X' at the end of the progress bar to stop the computer crashing. Other times 'Windows Explorer stops working' and I have to reset the computer.

Anyone got any ideas on this???

mooly 17:33 13 Dec 08

The only thing I can think of is to try formatting the card ( which will lose all the data of course ) and try from there.
Have you tried an SD card etc, anything really to see if it will load correctly from there. If you have a spare card XD card format that on the PC, then copy loads of stuff over and see if it reads back OK.
Can't really think of anything else.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:49 13 Dec 08

Do NOT format the card in the PC do it in the camera, otherwise your camera may not recognise it afterwards.

DANZIG 12:10 14 Dec 08

The card reader seems to read other cards OK. I've tried ones from the in-laws camera and some of the guys at work.

They all seem to work OK.

Its just mine that seem to choke it up sometimes

mooly 12:16 14 Dec 08

Maybe the card is fragmented. That's why I suggested formatting. Fruit Bat may have a point on formatting in the camera, but I would have thought that if there was a problem doing it on the PC ( where you can format to the cards default condition ) then another quick format in the camera would put it right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5