Xcopy to automate backups?

rsturbo 16:48 26 Feb 04

is there a way of using xcopy to create an auto backup system from one hdd (c) to another hdd (d)?
what operating systems can i use it on and if so step by step instructions are needed!!

thanks for any help

Sheila-214876 17:47 26 Feb 04

xcopy can only be used on Win98SE. It is normally run from Start, Run. The command is: xcopy c:\*.* /e/h/k/r/c d: I use it quite often, but be aware it sometimes doesn't like long file names. A better option (for Win98SE) is xxcopy from click here If it is XP then xxclone is the one to use from click here I don't think they can be automated.

Sheila-214876 17:49 26 Feb 04

Sorry meant to add It can't be automated because the target disk needs to "empty" that is formatted only. So each time you do a backup you would have to re-format the target disk first.

rsturbo 01:02 27 Feb 04

answered my questions nicely, cheers!

Wak 10:00 27 Feb 04

Hi, I use XXCOPY on Win 98SE every two weeks to clone my C:\ drive to my separate E:\ drive.
It clones everything including Operating system, registry, program files and data files.
The receiving drive is never "cleared" before cloning as XXCOPY overwrites altered files, adds new files and advises you of old files on the receiving drive which should no longer be needed and allows them to be deleted.
As Ennuye says, it's XXCOPY for all Windows systems except Win XP which requires XXCLONE, both FREE and excellent programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…